The Sacral Chakra is the second chakra in ascending order and is located just below the navel. In sanskrit, the sacral chakra is known as svadhisthana, meaning “sweetness or loveliness”. The Major theme of this chakra is sexuality, feminine energy, sensuality, fertility, and creative life energy. Here are some correspondences related to the sacral chakra:
Location: just below the navel
Foods: fruits, seeds, honey
Stones: gold topaz, aventurine, coral, fire opal
Essential Oils: sandalwood, myrrh, butter orange, pepper, vanilla
Herbs: nettle, yarrow, parsley
Animals: fish, marine animals
Yoga Path: tantric yoga
Yoga Poses: standing tree, head to knee pose
When our sacral chakra is balanced we have vitality, creativity, and a joy for living. A harmonious sacral chakra will connect you to your sensuality and fulfillment of your life. The world around you will be perceived with the full intensity of your senses, preparing you for inner growth.
People with a strongly developed sacral chakra have an awareness of one’s own body in the physical manifestation.
Those with sacral chakra personalities are artistic and sensual. They have a love for anything creative and use that as a positive outlet for their emotions such as dance, poetry, writing, drawing, and singing. Women with this personality often find fulfillment in motherhood. Men with this personality have inner harmony between their masculine and feminine aspects of self. Both men and women alike have a sensual and free flowing energy.
When our sacral chakra is unbalanced, it can either be in excess or deficiency. When our chakra is in over-drive, or in excess, it manifests as uncontrolled drives, compulsiveness, and feelings of guilt. We may feel as if we have no control over our lives. When our sacral chakra is deficient, we may have lack of drive in our life and/or relationships. An unbalanced sacral chakra will physically manifest itself with impotence, prostate disease, problems with female reproduction, stomach problems, kidney disease, or back pain.
Psychologically, an unbalanced sacral chakra can cause a preoccupation with feelings of guilt, problems with the personality, addiction, lack of sexual drive, weakened mental state, poor discipline or self control, lack of fulfillment in life, the inability to appreciate beauty and creativity.
The following are signs your sacral chakra may need balancing:
- If you do not enjoy life.
- If you do not feel sexually fulfilled or suffer from sexual problems.
- If you have no appreciation for creativity or your creativity is blocked.
- If you have no self control or put too much importance on discipline.
- If you have frequent feelings of jealousy and guilt.
- If you have problems with menstruation.
- If you have problems with your sexual organs/reproduction.
- If you feel driven by sexual desires only.
To help get your sacral chakra healthy and balanced, try to work the following areas in your everyday life:
- Connect with water; take a bath, go swimming, sit near a lake or ocean.
- Drink adequate amounts of water.
- Find a creative outlet that you enjoy. Do not worry if you are “good enough” at it. It’s the process that counts.
- Use the color orange in your life; orange clothes, orange foods, orange decor for your home.
- Embrace your sensuality.
- Dance! Try belly dancing or salsa to awaken the sacral chakra.
- Meditate or take walks during the waxing moon.
To help strengthen this chakra, use the following affirmation daily or when needed; “I lovingly accept my body”.